Monday, September 26, 2011

初Dr Pepper

This thing's been around for years, but it has typically been under the radar with so many more well known competitions. I had always wondered about its taste, but most people that tried it back in my high school days claimed it's for the eccentrics.

Apparently it tastes like Taiwanese (Asian?) cold syrups, so a lot of people from Taiwan dislike the drink.

But the drink has made its name in recent anime series, namely Steins;Gate and Kamisama no Memochou (and maybe the upcoming Persona 4), and anime fans around the world are drawn to pick up the drink.

I thought I'd give it a try as well when I spotted it today.

The first sip did kinda remind me of the cold syrups I used to smell but refused to take when I was little. But I got used to the smell and taste quickly after a few more sips.

It kinda lost its lustre after a few hours when it became lukewarm, and just went down like cherry-flavoured coke. Not as good as when it's still fresh, but it's somewhat unavoidable 'cause that's usually how long it takes for me to finish one can of pop...

All in all, I don't find it disgusting like my classmates used to describe it. I can see how some people would get addicted to its taste. While not quite your usual coke, the cherry flavour is still easy on the taste buds and even soothing at times.

On a side note, I scanned the can and noticed that the caffeine content was 41mg/355ml. According to Coca Cola's website and a quick calculation, the Classic is about 34mg/355ml. I don't drink coffee so I don't know how much those amount to, but I couldn't help but think that maybe the slightly higher caffeine content in Dr Pepper gives people more of a kick, and as a result leaves the impression that brain-using people run off it more?

Although I'm leaning toward the feelings I got back in my high school days, that people think it's for the eccentrics. Mad Scientist Hououin Kyouma and NEET Detective Alice should be proof enough. XD

0 comments: