Tuesday, February 08, 2011

最初はグー

I was watching a pre-air special for the Japanese drama Bartender when I came across this little piece of trivia.

「最初はグー、じゃんけんぽん!」

This famous phrase can be heard in almost all aspects of the Japanese culture, and I thought it's been around for ages. I never paused to think about its origin, so I was quite surprised when I learned that it's coined by the comedian Shimura Ken.

Not really science, but kinda history and cultural science?

Omake.1
A high school buddy commented while we were in university that our math professor looked like Shimura Ken. I've never seen Shimura Ken until now so I could neither agree or disagree with him back then...
He was right, the math prof did look like Shimura Ken! XD

Omake.2
I've never read the Bartender manga and have yet to finish the anime version. The pace for the anime is really slow, kind of like ARIA but with a different sense of healing, and is obviously adult-oriented with the various work and life related issues. Wonder what the drama version will be like?

0 comments: