Sunday, August 29, 2010

I just trial-watched the first little bit (up to the end of the OP) of the 1st Break Blade movie, and it did not betray my expectation ever since I saw the single-page ad for it in the Goods Press magazine a couple months ago.

The first thing that caught my attention from the little bit was the high quality of the visuals. The movements of the Golems were also nicely organic and mechanic at the same time, and the music was quite good.

And the OP "Fate" by KOKIA was heavenly. In fact, I'd say it's the best I've heard of KOKIA so far. The feel of the melody reminds me of her other songs from Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~, but I guess some of the themes for both series are similar in a way, too (自分の信念と生き方を見つけ、そしてその道を貫いていく。 Though I could be wrong as I haven't read past the 1st volume of the original manga).

It's obvious that シギュン harbours feelings for ライガット, but even for a romanticist like me (いや、ロマンチストだからこそかな), I hope this aspect doesn't get explored too much. Let the focus be friendship vs. patriotic responsibilities!

In case anyone's wondering, I'm not going to refer to it as BROKEN BLADE, as per the official English title. ブレイク ブレイド is literally Break Blade. The author might had meant to name it on the motif of broken blade(s) and mis-used the verb for the adjective, but it's an established title nevertheless. Beside, Break Blade sounds cooler than Broken Blade. XD

Length-wise, it's almost the equivalent of a 12-episode series (6 movies x 50mins each). But it's probably a much bigger budget series than an average one-cours anime, so it makes sense to release it as theatrical features rather than disc only OVA, as it'd be more profitable and easier to build a reputation.

If only Gundam UC goes the same route... You know the Gundam MS igLoo OVA series? Haven't been available for sometime now on North American online retail sites. Which means I'll need to try to find it 2nd-hand when/if I go to Japan.

Speaking of which, the BD for the 2nd Break Blade movie was out a few days ago, and the 3rd movie will be in theatre on Sept 25th and the 4th movie on Oct 30th. Seeing that it's Production I.G. and XEBEC, I hope somebody would pay attention to this series and license and release it soon!

I want the Blu-ray~~~ *rolls on the ground*

Although... If the North American release doesn't include the booklet, I'm importing it from Japan, along with Gundam UC.

0 comments: