Saturday, May 01, 2010

Project NewType #3: 彩雲国物語 Saiunkoku Monogatari
1st season: 39 episodes
2nd season: 39 episodes
MADHOUSE

[Other media]
- Original novel (ongoing)
- Spin-off manga (ongoing)
- Drama CDs (released pre-anime; covers vol.1-2 of novel)
- consumed order: anime -> Drama CD -> novel -> manga

I recently started on vol.3 of the novel and only have up to vol.14 of the main story and two out of four side story volumes. The anime covers up to the end of vol.12, so I went ahead and read vol.13-14 online in Chinese. I couldn't wait to see what happened next, and it'd taken me way too long to catch up in Japanese.

Even though it was only mentioned briefly in vol.13, the name of two certain creatures made me realized that the anime left out some crucial setting. I don't know exactly what since I didn't bother reading the preceding volumes covered by the anime, but I will when I get to it in the novel. I look forward to get the full story.

The novel series, standing at 16 volumes so far for the main story, appears to be entering its final arc now. Hopefully Yukino-sensei will tie up all the lose threads in a satisfying way and, I know it's wistful thinking, pair up Shuurei with Seiga! I really like Kuwashima Houko with Morikubo Shoutarou. XD

The manga is done by the illustrator for the novel and I haven't read much since it's pretty hard to find. Nothing special about the manga version as it follows the novel closely.

The drama CD has a partially different cast than the anime. With the exception of Hayami Shou as Kou Kijin from the drama CD and Okamura Akemi as Shuusui from the anime, the cast for both version are pretty comparable. It's a really hard toss for Reishin and Ensei, but I think the anime version is slightly more fitting considering the age of the characters.

[Highlights]
- story, setting, seiyuu, music

It's obvious from the cast of good looking guys that the series is aimed at the female population. But what caught me foremost was the seiyuu, then the story and setting as well as the music. I find the character design quite decent, but not enough to attract me by appearance alone. While a lot of "for female" series focus on the hot guys as selling points, Saiunkoku never leaves the main character Kou Shuurei. It's easy to dismiss the series as a reverse harem for Shuurei, but such notion is actually quite low on the radar. Even I get more excited when Shuurei turns the table and deals a great hand than when Ryuuki tries to woo her. In short, Saiunkoku is an account of trials, obstacles and accomplishments of Shuurei as she fights for others in the unfriendly world of politics and power struggles dominated by men.

The music is scored by Ryou Kunihiko, whom I've known since Juuni Kokuki and Emma. I personally find the music of Saiunkoku not quite on par with that of Juuni Kokuki, but it's still very nice. I'm a sucker for oriental ethnic instruments. XD

[Notable seiyuu]
- Kuwashima Houko, Seki Tomokazu, Midorikawa Hikaru, Hiyama Nobuyuki, Morikawa Toshiyuki, Ikeda Shuuichi, Kanna Nobutoshi, Madono Mitsuaki, Kisaichi Atsushi, Nakata Kazuhiro, Okamura Akemi, Narita Ken, Morikubo Shoutarou, Katsu Anri, Sugiyama Noriaki, Ookawa Tooru, Namikawa Daisuke, Itou Kentarou, Akimoto Yousuke, Chiba Susumu, Toriumi Kousuke, Suwabe Junichi, Koyasu Takehito, Yusa Kouji, Okiayu Ryuutarou, Kiuchi Hidenobu, Miyamoto Mitsuru, Toyoguchi Megumi, Onosaka Masaya, Nojima Hirofumi, Seki Toshihiko, Kaida Yuki, Sendai Eri

Yeah, that's how luxurious the seiyuu cast is for the series. I think it's getting common as well for works targeting females to have exceptional seiyuu cast. Kuwashima Houko is my favourite female seiyuu, and Seki Tomokazu is my 2nd (though he's in danger of losing that spot) favourite male seiyuu. 'Nuff said. XD

[Favourite characters]
- Kou Shuurei, Li Kouyu, Rou Ensei, Riku Seiga, Ran Ryuuren, Shin Suou

I like most of the characters played by the seiyuu listed above, so I only point out the most notable ones here. Shuurei is a given, and so is Seiga. Actually, I just realized that the five guys I mentioned here are the ones I support with Shuurei...

[Couples supported]
- Shuurei x Seiga
- Shuurei x Ensei, Shuurei x Kouyu, Shuurei x Ryuuren, Shuurei x Suou
- Shuuei x Shuusui
- Eigetsu x Kourin
- Juusanhime x Jun

Of course there's couples that I support! I'm a romantic at heart (?!) and this series has a lot of potentials. My vote goes to Shuurei x Seiga, but I also support other combinations. I used to like Shuurei x Ryuuki but it faded away once Shuurei entered the Censorate. I guess I'm kind of fine with Shuurei x Seiran, but I will not tolerate Shuurei x Sakujun.

It is very possible that Shuurei won't end up with anyone, but there's always hoping and fanfics. XD

[Buying guide]
- already bought 1st season

Given the medieval Chinese setting and politic terms, it'd be ideal to buy the series with Chinese subtitles instead of English. I hate it when I have no source to get R3 DVDs and have to settle for inferior R1 DVDs. Story-wise it doesn't flow as well as the original novel, but nothing beats being able to hear the grand cast of seiyuu. :D

0 comments: