Thursday, January 28, 2010

Black Chronicle: Road to Firefox 3.5.7 part2 XD

As mentioned yesterday, I'm posting the Add-ons I currently use with 3.5.7, complete with links and some attempt at descriptions, in alphabetic order as listed in the Add-ons manager.

[Canadian English Dictionary 1.1.5]
Allows me to spell check my typing online without colouring my words with glaring red dots. A must have for us polar bear neighbours. XD

[Context Search 0.4.5]
My main search-highlighted-on-certain-sites approach. Best used in conjunction with Mycroft. I can highlight something and use the context menu to search via: (from top to bottom) Google, Google Japan, Google Taiwan, Google Maps, Wikipedia (ja), Wikipedia (en), Amazon.ca, Amazon.jp, Amazon.com, and Acronym Finder. This is one of the oldest extension I've used since my Mozilla days. Highly recommended if you're a search junkie like me.

[Converter 0.9.3]
Converts between metric and imperial as well as a whole bunch of other stuff. I can't do anything in imperial to save my life... Been using this since version 0.1 with Mozilla. Highly recommended for any non-Americans!

[Fetchimi 1.0]
Literally "Fetch meaning". This is an English dictionary that returns with definitions in Japanese in an overlay panel when you hover over the word. It'll even pronounce the word in English when you press "F" (I totally forgot about this function until I saw my comment in an old post). Useful if you're lazy like me to actually use a dictionary. :Q

[Japanese-English Dictionary for Rikaichan 1.13]
Dictionary file for Rikaichan (see Rikaichan)

[Names Dictionary for Rikaichan 1.13]
Dictionary file for Rikaichan (see Rikaichan)

[NicoFox 0.4b1]
Niconico Douga video downloader. The toolbar also shows the video link in international Niconico sites and related external tools such as Nicosound. Highly recommended for any Niconico Douga fan!

[Personas 1.5.1]
Basically wearable skins for Firefox. I have mine changing randomly from my list of favourites. I forgot to mention this yesterday, but the main reason that I'm sticking with 3.5.7 is because the top portion of my browser above the viewable area shrinks vertically in size when I hover over a Persona, and this is with a clean install of Firefox 3.6. Maybe it's an unforeseened issue when using small icons? Recommended if you like to dress up your apps.

[Personas Windows Classic Statusbar 1.1.3]
After I ranted about the statusbar not getting skinned with Personas, I dug around and found this (but too lazy to post an update), and I've been happily trying more Personas now that I can read the statusbar. Only required when running Firefox pre-3.6 and Windows classic theme.

[ReminderFox 1.9.6]
This used to be my library due date reminder, now it's reduced to just (but still important!) a bill payment reminder. I also use it as a date calendar in place of the built-in one in Vista when you click on the time. It's easier to go to different year and month than the Windows calendar. Recommended if you're old and forgetful like me.

[Rikaichan 1.07]
My most trusty companion when I visit Japanese websites. When hovered over a Japanese word, it'll render the hiragana and the English definition. It'll also show other variation or possible words for the hovered item. An absolute must have for anyone interested in learning Japanese!

[Text2Link 1.9.5]
Opens selected text URL in new tab or new window. A replacement for text/plain that I had used since way back. I recommended text/plain to Neko-tan but it refused to install. I had always just ran the update so never had any problem, but I encountered the same incompatibility issue when I had to start fresh with 3.5.7. It looks like it'll be incorporated into 3.7, but I didn't want to wait that long so I searched for a substitute. Text2Link pretty much does the same thing, and it doesn't require precise highlight of the URL and does link text copying. I haven't used it much yet, but I might grow to like it. Recommended if you're really lazy like me...

Excluding the 3 dictionary files, I'm currently running 9 add-ons (7 if you discount Personas and the Statusbar fix), which is sufficient for pretty much all my daily online needs. I don't install a lot of add-ons like bro, but I'm too lazy (this is the keyword for this post, in case you haven't noticed) to do everything manually myself.

I've tried various extensions over the years and my extension list evolves with my changing surfing habits. Most of my current selections perform similar functions as my list over a year ago, so I think it's safe to say these are tried and proven tools that I'll be using until they are either incorporated or not supported anymore.

So how do you hone your Firefox? :)
君のFirefoxをどう調教するかい? ;)

0 comments: