Sunday, November 09, 2008

I'm usually pretty lazy when it comes to change of habit, so my list of Firefox add-ons haven't grown or changed much over the years. Recently, as I find myself doing quite a bit of reading online, I started looking around for language add-ons to help me stay lazy without having to resort to using a dictionary for word definitions. Here's an update on what my add-ons list is consisted of:

[Context Search 0.4.3]
An old timer that I've used since the Mozilla days. Still use it quite often.

[Converter 0.7.1]
There's been no update for version 0.7 since I migrated to Firefox 3, but when I searched for it on the add-ons site, there it is! Just got it back a few days ago and haven't the chance to use it yet, but my list cannot be complete without it. :)

[DicionarySearch 3.0.0]
Another old timer. My usage of it has decreased lately due to Rikaichan and FetchImi, but it's still useful. I'll probably set the English and Japanese dictionary entries I have now to Wikipedia or something when I have time.

[FetchImi 0.9.5]
My latest addition to the list. I was originally looking for a English dictionary add-on that will allow me to look up definition without leaving the tab. Finding none suitable for my need, I found this one. While it's still in the experimental stage, this English-to-Japanese add-on is likely the most heavily used add-on on the list since its installation. Now if only the pronunciation hot key isn't set to a single alphabet and thus conflicts with my search-text-when-typing setting, it would be perfect.

[MeasureIt 0.3.8]
I haven't used this one in a loooong time, but it's so small that having it there doesn't bother. Just in case I want to play around someday.

[NoScript 1.8.2.8]
I actually don't use this very often and only installed it to stop pop-ups for two particular sites. I might remove this if I cease to visit the said sites regularly.

[Personas for Firefox 1.0a6]
Same Groovy Blue for me since I started using Personas last year. The server seems to be unstable at times lately and causes my Firefox to revert back to the default skin (which is pale green due to my Windows setting), but I don't see myself changing to an actual theme any time soon.

[Pronounce 1.1]
A little add-on I put in to help me with word pronunciation. The thing is, I have music playing most of the time so it doesn't get used as often as I hope. I can't read the pronunciation key, btw, which explains why I suck at pronunciation.

[ReminderFox 1.8]
I haven't gone to the library in the longest time (cry) so this has been reduced to a mere bill payment reminder...

[Rikaichan 1.04]
My trusty companion when I visit Japanese websites. Its slick interface and efficiency was what spurred me to find a counterpart for English. An absolute must have for me.

[text/plain 1.1.9.1]
Another old timer. I used it quite often back when I on Niconico a lot. Very useful and light.

[Niconico Douga Downloader 0.5]
This is compatible with the Summer version of Niconico. Not sure if it works with the current Fall version. I haven't the chance nor time to go on Niconico since I got back to work two months ago... >__<

And there we have it, a list of a total of 12 add-ons. I think the list is pretty complete to accommodate whatever I may be doing online. I don't really want to install too many add-ons and drag my Firefox down. Let's keep the number down! :)

0 comments: