Thursday, September 13, 2012

異議なし!

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All (逆転裁判 2)

The defence and the prosecution have no objection to the game!

I've always wanted to play this acclaimed series for years and finally managed to acquire the 2nd instalment of the series some time ago.

This is pretty fun, I say!

There are four cases in Justice for All. The first case kind of served as a tutorial, so even without prior knowledge or experience, I fell right in step in no time.

The first 2 cases were pretty straight forward as to who the guilty party were, and everything was cut relatively clean. The third case offered a little more twist and a glimpse of the ambiguity of justice, crimes and human nature.

The fourth and last case was probably the same length of all three previous cases combined, and it was literally a turnabout trial, in more aspects than one.

I started out believing in my clients from the bottom of my heart like Phoenix Wright did, and I suffered the same anxiety as he struggled with the conflicting consciences and dilemma.

The conclusion for the last trial and the ending of the whole game were nice, with various individuals picking themselves up from they had fallen. And Franziska's crying face was the absolute shocking moment for me throughout the whole game! XD

By playing through the game, I kinda learned what happened in the first game, and will be expecting certain characters to show up in the third game as well. I like seeing such continuities, with everything coming back in full circles.

For the North American version, everything is supposed to be set in America. Except I didn't realize that until an incident involving the different position of the driver's seat for an imported car came up in the 2nd case. Other than that, I was able to play the game without having to think about where the events took place.

It might already be present in the game or added on as a localization flavour, but I quite enjoyed the witty dialogues and puns. I laughed out loud a few times, too. XD

The controls are intuitive, and I was impressed by the character animation. The music was meh for me most of the time, but they convey the tension for the moment and allow the player to gauge the situation. You can either load from the save point or the start of the chapter, but there's only one save file.

There's very little to none replay value for a visual novel-type game like this, so I guess I'll be selling it eventually... Maybe next year when I finish more games that can be sold as well.

Can't wait to play the first game to see what happened in the past! Now that I played the 2nd game in English, we'll see how the experience will exchange when I play the 1st game in Japanese. :Q

And hopefully Club Japan will be able to get the other three games I asked for...

0 comments: