Sunday, November 20, 2011

8GB

There seems to be a misperception among my friends that I'm good with computers. Well, I suppose I did use to sell computers and stuff, but not doesn't mean I know how to use the software.

So while trying to see what the graphic interface for Windows shutdown is like to compare to a Madoka fan art Neko-tan sent me, I clicked on the shutdown button in the start menu... And Windows just shut down by itself without showing me that interface. orz

(Now that I think of it, I run on classic theme, so the graphic interface for shutdown would be turned off...)

When's the last time I shut down the computer? Early last year when I was switching to boot from XP to use the scanner? I decided to use this opportunity to put in the memory sticks I got... oh, maybe a year ago? XD

Putting in the ROM sticks was easy. I also took the PC out to the balcony and dust sprayed it. Let me give you an advice here: it's not the brightest idea to wear a T-shirt and shorts when there's a wind chill factor (and it was just blowing gusts like crazy) of -2°C.

Anyway, I put the case cover back and plugged everything back. Switch on!

...what is that loud noise I hear? orz

Turned out I disrupted the balance previously achieved by the back fan casing and it was protesting, loudly. I had to toy with the four screws on the back for a long time to find that balance back. But I was very happy when I did! :D

Now my PC runs with 8GB of ROM, and every action is so much faster than before! I know 8GB isn't a lot in PC standard, but I went from 512MB → 4GB → 8GB. You can see it's revolutionary for me. XD

The two sticks I put in are actually slightly slower than the two originals, but unless I play high-end games, I probably wouldn't notice the difference. A lot of my PC games only run on XP anyway so the slightly slower speed also doesn't matter in that aspect.

Hopefully I won't run into hangs and crashes (I presume they were all memory-related) in the near future again. XD

0 comments: