Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sony PS3 Surround Sound System pt.2

I went and got the sound bar yesterday after work from Future Shop, and some guy got easy commission by simply intercepting me as I made my way to the front cashier with the box in my arms.

The sound bar took only a few minutes to set up. To commemorate this special occasion, I popped in the 1st disc of AIR TV for testing the PS3 upscale feature. Apparently, when the firmware update was released back in 2007 for the DVD/BD upscale, AIR TV was used as the standard to make the DVD quality rival that of the BD.

It looked absolutely gorgeous compared to when I watched it on the tube TV back home! Though my heart tinged a little when Misuzu spoke...

Since the DVD only has 2.0 audio, I couldn't tell how well the sound bar fares when it comes to imitating 5.1, but it's definitely much better than the flat built-in TV speakers.

I have the setting on dynamic at all times and the volume on max at 30. Tried the night mode and noticed it did get slightly quieter, but I can't gauge how effective it is in minimizing disturbance to the neighbours. So as a rule of thumb, I limit my watching time on the TV to around 10pm.

Overall, the sound bar is not a great system by a long shot, but it's my best option for upgrading from the built-in TV speakers. I have limited space and can't turn the volume up too much should the neighbours complain, so even if I had the money (which I don't), it would be impractical to get an actual sound system anyway.

I look forward to watching 5.1 materials and playing games after the AX and see how the sound bar will perform!

0 comments: