Saturday, April 02, 2011

He? She? It?

I have the pleasure and honour to care for a cat (who's somewhat psycho and wouldn't leave me the last time but ignores me this time) at a friend's this weekend. I just returned from feeding and trying to play with the cat.

As I strode leisurely to and back from the friend's place on my trusty sandals, I met a lot of people walking their dogs. The last one was ever so eager to appeal to me as it stood on its hind feet and reached out with its front paws while walking/hopping.

I'm referring to the dog as an "it" because I didn't know its gender. As much as I love dogs, I can only tell that an individual dog is a "he" when I see the physical organ, which may not be evident if the dog has long hair. If he's gone through a certain operation to prevent him from reproduction, well, I wouldn't be able to tell his gender by sight. But regardless, I don't discriminate animals based on gender.

Can I say the same for humans? I can't say for sure. Despite typically being indifferent toward most humans I pass by during my daily lives, there's probably prejudices and stereotypes embedded in my brain due to the teachings of the surrounding environment throughout my years of existence. As a result, I might already have a biased view on the person upon first glance before I even start talking to him or her.

I'd like to think that I don't do this often as I usually don't care enough before the bias kick in. On this note, I'm very thankful that I grew up thinking all humans are hopeless and worthless and hating humans (including myself), but changed my way of thinking after experiencing the complete love of God. Although old habits die hard and I still feel more toward animals than humans, I've learned not to judge any person because it's not my place to do so.

Well, I know being indifferent to humans isn't much better, but I am improving, albeit slowly. I'll always be a work in progress in my Potter's hand, shaping me daily. :)

Alas, my cute cat beckons. I shall go play with him. XD

0 comments: