Saturday, August 14, 2010

Four-leaf clover is a widely recognized symbol for luck in the West and happiness in the East. The motif is often used in ACG as well and typically claimed that four-leaf clovers grow in places where high number of people walk by and step on (actually not true, but let's overlook that little fact for now).

The logic here is that one of the three leaflets gets damaged and splits, and if the injured leaflet recovers, the split turns it into two leaflets to make the clover four leaves. On this ground, I can see why it's associated with happiness.

As humans, we all get trampled by difficulties and hardship in life, and it hurts, sometimes to a point where the concept of being alive and well is simply unfathomable. But if we tough it out and overcome the ordeal, the split wound becomes an honourable badge, proof of our perseverance and growth. And then, we transform into a four-leaf clover that bring about happiness for ourselves and those around us.

Happiness isn't something that's just handed to you, and you can't really appreciate true happiness unless you go through the experience. Only when you've fought the battle, and it doesn't need to be a winning battle, will you be able to see yourself as a four-leaf clover. Otherwise, you'll just see yourself as a broken leaf, mutilated and waiting to wither.

By not having to fight a winning battle, allow me to illustrate with one of my favourite examples. I flunked all the required pre-vet courses in the first term of my 2nd year in university. However, I never see that as a failure but rather a triumphant moment. That was when I looked at myself and figured out what I really liked and how much effort I was willing to put out. I learned the extent of my will (which is different from the extent of ability and strength), and I didn't have to go on wondering later in life if I'd be better off being a vet.

Happiness doesn't necessarily mean everything goes well according to plan, but it will leave you with no regret because it's out of your own will. It's to be able to make peace with the consequences of your choice.

Of course, knowing God makes it a lot easier for me to achieve that state of mind, but it's a perfectly legit cheat! XD

今日の君も幸せかい?
一緒に四つ葉のクローバーとなり、周りの人たちに幸せをあげましょう~

0 comments: