Sunday, June 20, 2010

Project NewType #5: カイバ Kaiba
12 episodes
MADHOUSE

[Other media]
N/A

[Highlights]
- seiyuu

Seiyuu was the only reason I picked up this anime; Kuwashima Houko and Park Romi, to be exact. The pace and the plot is very slow so most brave souls would probably drop it in an episode or two. Unless the poor souls like Kuwashima Houko as much as I do.

[Notable seiyuu]
- Kuwashima Houko, Park Romi, Nodo Mamiko, Fujimura Ayumi, Kaida Yuuko

Right before the series aired, the only thing I knew was that it featured Kuwashima Houko, Park Romi and Nodo Mamiko. There's very few characters that appeared on a regular basis for this series, hence the very small number of notable seiyuu, despite the fact that seiyuu was the sole driving force for me.

[Favourite character]
- Chronico/Warp

I wasn't going to put down anyone for this category, but Kuwashima was quite cute as Warp in Chronico's body. Because of the art style and the type of story, there's no good looking and few strong willed characters.

[Couple supported]
- N/A

There was a few Chronico and Vanilla moments, especially at the end of their "relationship", but it was completely one-sided, so that doesn't really count.

[Buying guide]
- not interested

Kaiba is not your usual anime at all. Not only is the art style unattractive (it actually reminded me of really old school cartoon characters before the beginning of modern animation as we know it), the story concept and world setting can be quite confusing. I had a hard time orienting myself halfway through the story because there was a couple months' gap before I resolved to finish the series just to get it over with. The concept of interchanging memory and body itself is somewhat interesting, but the execution made it appear too philosophical for my taste...

0 comments: