Monday, April 05, 2010

Remember I chronicled my customization for Firefox when I had to uninstall 3.6 and reinstall 3.5.x earlier this year? It made my reinstallation just now a lot quicker since I didn't have to search for my extension list or the codes.

Yeah, I had to do it again 'cause I accidentally hit the "enter" key when the update reminder popped up. I held on for as long as possible before I had to restart the browser, but the inevitable took place and pushed my Firefox to 3.6.

Coincidentally, bro threw me a message asking if I've upgraded to the latest Firefox just as Firefox 3.6.x finished installing. During the brief exchange and attempt to relay my issues with bro (I asked him to reproduce the 'bugs' which he couldn't), I used the term "cleartype" in the description, and it suddenly hit me.

The blurry text problem I was having with Personas in 3.6? It's actually because it displays the text in ClearType for some weird reason even though I had turned off ClearType right after I installed Windows. I looked everywhere and couldn't find anything on how to disable the ClearType display with Personas in 3.6 (everyone wants ClearType, it seemed). At the end, I had to go through the whole process like I did with my Firefox on Vista (I'm on XP now).

This time around, beside following my own instructions, there's a few changes between my current customization and the previous one.

The add-on FetchImi has somehow disappeared from the Add-ons site. I haven't looked into this yet but shall do that later.

Forgot to mention this last time since these were in the imported bookmark already, but the Quick Searches are really handy, especially if the term in question isn't displayed on the page and thus can't be copy&pasted.

3 very useful quick searches I use:
- The Free Dictionary (keyword: dict) http://www.thefreedictionary.com/%s
- Yahoo!辞書 (keyword: jp) http://dic.yahoo.co.jp/dsearch?enc=UTF-8&p=%s&stype=0&dtype=2
- XE.com: JPY to CAD rate (keyword: xe) http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Amount=%s&From=JPY&To=CAD

I've also set my URL bar to search using google.co.jp (http://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=ja&source=hp&q=) instead of google.com so it won't give me Chinese results if the term happens to be in kanji.

Note to self: export key3 and signons.sqlite before removing the profile for saved passwords. Maybe places.sqlite as well? Didn't try that.

Obviously I'm gonna try to hold out until they stop supporting 3.5.x., again. Hopefully by then there will be enough queries from people despising ClearType for Mozilla to add in an option to turn it off. *crosses fingers*


On a last note, I really want to get back to Umineko, but it's 1am and my cat has already came to call twice... I think I will put off Umineko until later today and try to find out the fate of FetchImi, then go read Toradora.

0 comments: