Saturday, April 17, 2010

犬夜叉 完結編 Inuyasha Kanketsuhen ep.1-9

I don't usually write about a show until I finish the whole thing unless it's first impression, but I just have to jot something down real quick before moving on to the next episode.

I started reading Inuyasha right after it was serialized in 1996 and had dutifully followed the series for years. I lost my source not too long after Kagura's death, and the anime ended before that event, so I've been away from the series ever since.

When I learned of the Kanketsuhen anime, I was only slightly intrigued because I hadn't been in touch with the series. But naturally I'd still grab it and watch it at my leisure, which turned out to be this weekend.

My first impression was that the art quality is really good and consistent, unlike the 1st anime which suffered from the same fate of collapsing quality faced by most series longer than two cours. It's really nostalgic to see all the characters animated on screen and hearing them speak again, especially considering that Inuyasha introduced Kuwashima Houko to me and got me started on seiyuu.

I've recalled how much I used to love this lot of characters and feel with them as they go through various emotional stages. I've already had to wipe off tears at least three times over the nine episodes: when Kagura died, when Inuyasha cried as Kikyou lay dying in his arms, and when Jyaken cried and gave thanks in the place of Sesshoumaru. I was a bit sad when Kohaku was told that he wouldn't be saved by Tenseiga, though, 'cause I was secretly hoping for that when I was still reading the manga years ago.

I think I'm falling for the series all over again. Depending on how the series ends, all those fanfics I started years ago may forever remain with me, and that would be a good thing. There's no need for fanfic if there's satisfying closures. :)

Now back to the anime!

0 comments: