Tuesday, December 08, 2009

機動戦士ガンダムUC Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn

Where to start... The first of the OVA won't be out until March of 2010, but I'm already jumping with anticipation. It's great to know that it'll be a world-wide release, shortly after the Japanese release! I'm seriously considering getting the BD version, and hoping that PS3 might follow in the second half of 2010.

Let's talk about first impressions. Now, I knew Unicorn started as novels but never got a chance to read it, so I'm basing everything from the two PVs and the official website.

I don't typically pay attention to production staff and therefore don't recognize most of the names, but I got excited when I saw Sawano Hiroyuki as the music composer. It definitely sounded like him in the 40-second PV, too. XD

Character design is usually misleading when judging from static shots on websites so I'll refrain from commenting too much for now (Syam Vist can totally pass as the head of a religious cult!), but I do have to point out one thing that bothers me: hair styles. And names.

What's with the retro hair? The most glaring examples of which are demonstrated by Mineva/Audrey, Micott, Marida and Full on the character page. And the names! Why are you walking down the same horrible path of English spelling names as SEED (How do you spell Maryu with Murrue??) when you are a Universal Century series?

And Full Frontal? I assume his name signifies something in the series, but it just sounds so stupid in English. -__-

Character-wise, Banagher (another failed English spelling when it's pronounced Banaaji) seems promising. His bio reminds me of Kira, along with his school mates from the AE Industry Technical School. I also have high hopes for his seiyuu Uchiyama Kouki, based on his performance in Soul Eater and the PV.

Mineva's alias Audrey Burne is obviously gotten from Audrey Hepburn, and her hair also kind of tips her off. I've actually never seen any of Audrey Hepburn's works except for a few images, but somehow I immediately associated Mineva's alias to her from looking at the hair. I was slightly worried when I first saw Fujimura Ayumi's name because her image as Kannagi Ayano and Cecily Cambell came off a lot stronger than what I'd imagine Mineva to be, but after hearing her in the PV, I'm fully relieved. She still sounds quite a bit older than Banagher, but I can attribute that to her experience in wars. And the hair.

My first thought when I saw Full Frontal was "Char", yet at the same time there's this sense of incongruity. His hair style (again with the hair) reminds me of Neo, but the vibe he gives off is closer to that of Rau's. Char's Counterattack was supposed to be the end of the original Gundam saga, so I'm not sure what to make of this masked blond when Char is dead. Even if Char isn't dead at the end of CCA, I doubt he would stage something like this after what he witnessed during the failed attempt to drop Axis. It's probably safe to assume that there's secrets and/or conspiracies behind his name and his voice. I don't think Ikeda Shuuichi would voice another character in the UC timeline if he isn't connected to Char in some way, though... Oh, and the Neo Zeon's uniforms look so OZ. XD

Mecha-wise, Unicorn Destroy Mode looks pretty good, albeit the colouring sort of reminds me of Astray. It's interesting to finally see a Gundam model being mass produced, but the lack of the signature white likely predestines the models to be secondary. And why is everything green? Are both E.F.S.F. and Neo Zeon trying to be eco-friendly in this time and age? (Sorry, cold joke)

Sinanju looks (not listed on the website at this point, judging from the box art of the model kit) majestic and, seeing that it's red, is probably piloted by Full. The Kshatriya looks pretty ugly to me; the 666 model number might mean it's the "Devil Gundam" of this series? I like how the Neo Zeon MS all wear bibs and sleeves, though. XD

It might look like I'm complaining a lot, but don't get me wrong. I'm itching to see it. I just don't want to be disappointed and have my experience hindered by little details.

: I almost didn't recognize Namikawa Daisuke in the cast photo. He's at least two shades darker and looked like a wild man! XD

Oh yeah, I definitely will have to re-watch Char's Counterattack to refresh my memory.

And I'm dropping Victory Gundam from the UC Gundam Quest for my birthday. I'm going to just finish series that pertain to the original Gundam saga. Victory is technically a UC series, but it's so far into the future and no one from the 1st Gundam generation is around. I'm still going to watch it, of course, probably before Unicorn comes out.

0 comments: