Sunday, November 29, 2009

I've been putting off this trip since October, but with snow in the forecast within 24 hours, I figured it's time at last. And thus I ventured out to find a pair of winter boots and a hat that would help me survive the dreadful winter that everyone's been warning me about.

After a few hours walking back and forth between a couple stores in the shopping centre, I was at my limit and decided to just pick something -anything- for my feet so I could pet myself on the back for a mission accomplished and be on my way home.

My loot for today (all prices before the wonderful 13% sales tax)
- Horseradish seal: $11.99
- Desktop mic: $9.99
- Energizer AA batteries x 16: $13.00
- Brown owl pilot hat: $20.00
- Fur trim town shoes: $109.99
- Not having to do this again until the shoes die on me: priceless

For the Home Grown veggie collection, I was tempted to get the broccoli camel or the cucumber alligator in addition to the seal, but my wallet won out at the end. I tend to prefer ones that's more natural with as few modification (mixture of different types of veggies or fruits) as possible. The beauty of Jagainu-kun is exactly that.

For the hat, I was leaning toward the beaver (it's even got a little beaver tail on the back!) or the raccoon, but the owl ones have a better lining layer for some reason, so I went with the brown owl.

For the boots, I was hoping to just buy a pair of rubber boots like my colleague had suggested and get it over with, but I had three shops to choose from (see the next paragraph for why) and all their rubber boots are more expensive than regular ones. Originally, I was trying to keep my budget under $100, but the only pair within that price range was made in China with obvious crude seam work which I wouldn't dare to trust. So I went with my next best choice. There's a pair that looked really promising, but it was also $160. All the ones I looked at were on sale, btw. Otherwise they'd be much higher priced.

For this shopping trip, I stayed on the 3rd level, the floor right after I got off the bus, and didn't have the energy or will to explore the other two floors. I tire very easily when shopping for things that go on my body, even though I can spend hours in a library or a zoo. Now all I need is some non-perishable or frozen food so I can coop up in my nest when the weather is less than ideal for grocery shopping.

I am ready for you, winter (I hope)! Come as you may!

0 comments: