Monday, December 01, 2008

Finished watching World Destruction 世界撲滅の六人 two days ago and thought I'd spell out some of my thoughts on the show. The show is based on the game World Destruction 導かれし意思, which I know nothing about along with the manga version, so I'll only focus on the anime version.

I was kind of skeptical about the story at first, but the seiyuu cast was too heavy for me to miss so I decided to give it a try. The art and character design is not quite my style, but I find the animal designs likeable. The setting isn't anything new, and the do-good tasks the group ended up with every time are rather typical for an RPG type show.

But I enjoyed the show despite the flaws. The episodic format, when done right, can be gratifying and attractive. The supporting characters in the episodes also displayed great development, which added to the enjoyment of the show. I especially liked the black bear (Char vs Amuro seiyuu !XD) and No.28 (another view on robot with kokoro!)

As for the story, I had a hunch about the connection between Kyrie and the destruct code very early in the series so the plot twist wasn't that much of a surprise for me. Being a tie-up title with the game, the anime only has time to address one or two main plot lines and very briefly touch on the other ones. While the subtitle indicates six people, much of the background and stories behind the four beside Kyrie and Morte are not explored. I'm interested in Lia and Naja's plot line if there's one, seeing how Lia is the last survivor of the dragon race and Naja is a half between human and beastman. Agan must also have an interesting story, living the life of a transport ship captain. ちょっと残念。

This series reminded me of Shining Tears X Wind a lot. Both are based on SEGA games, and both have a loaded seiyuu cast. While Shining Tears X Wind's seiyuu cast is heavier than that of World Destruction for me (It's got Kuwashima Houko and Ishida Akira, 'nuff said), World Destruction features a younger group (in terms of seniority) in average.

At the moment, the majority of the seiyuu I like are still from the 'previous generation', but the number of the younger seiyuu is slowly increasing. Miyano Mamoru and Ono Daisuke are two of the new male seiyuu I've taken notice as of late. I have high expectation for the two.

Speaking of seiyuu, I'm watching 宇宙のステルヴィア(Stellvia of the Universe) right now and find the seiyuu cast to be on the heavy side as well. I'm not familiar with Onaka Ai so I didn't pay much attention to her. Then when she said どうぞ to the bearded man on the shuttle, it suddenly hit me: 風子だ!

I only got through the Fuuko arc in the CLANNAD anime not too long ago, so her voice still lingers in my mind. And yeah, my eyes sweated a lot watching the Fuuko chapter. (つД`) I should find time to finish the CLANNAD anime. No doubt my eyes will sweat more.

0 comments: