Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The biggest news for the Vancouver community today is probably the official retirement of the Canuck everyone will remember, Trevor Linden.

I started watching hockey just before the play-offs in 1994 and got pretty hyped as the Canucks, the 7th seeder, defeated higher ranked teams and advanced to the Stanley Cup finals, fighting to the very end in game 7 against the New York Rangers. I got the names and faces of everyone on the team down at that time and collected the posters in the Province newspaper. I even drew a series of pictures titled 'Road to the Cup' using the team logos. No, I couldn't find those sketches anymore and maybe I threw them out during a room cleaning. Yes, I'm pretty mad at myself for this act of stupidity...

Anyway, Trevor Linden has been a favourite of mine since.

Admittingly, I didn't follow the Canucks as closely after Mike Keenan came into the picture and merely checked their progress after the turn of the century unless they made play-off. But I still got excited whenever there's news of Trevor, and I was thrilled to have him back in Vancouver in '01. Here is a player with class, compassion, and action, both on and off the ice.

It's sad to see such great man leaving hockey. You will always be in our hearts, Trevor! Best wishes and blessings to you and your family!! :D

On a side note, many of the players I grew up watching are now retired... Thank you all for being a part of my youth! :)

0 comments: