Friday, May 30, 2003

Kiddy Grade.

At first, I thought it's one of these series with fancy mech design, special CG effects, and fan service characters. I continued to think so until a few hours ago when I finished the last few episodes. True, the series has plenty of fan service shots and the pace is relatively slow until later episodes, but I enjoyed it, especially the second half. Not having seen the whole series, there are many unanswered questions, but that doesn't matter. The last battle between Deucallion and the ES-members is fascinating and exciting, at the same time beautifully done. Gonzo really is a leading company when it comes to 3D animation and CG effects. I don't quite like the female character designs, but almost everything else is nicely done. If I really have to point out its weakness, it's the lack of character depth. There're simply too many major players beside Eclair and Lumiere. While the two main characters grow as the series progresses, nothing much is done for the other characters, which is too bad because those other characters can provide much depth and prospective to the story.

Granted, Kiddy Grade probably is not making my list of top 20 anime, but there are a few episodes which I like a lot, and some themes displayed throughout the series are touching and moved me. An entertaining series, to say the least.