Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Makeover

I got summoned back home earlier this year and didn't return until 2 months ago. Throughout this time, my desktop PC (Cygnus) dutifully sat there and waited for me. Needless to say, nothing got updated during this time.

While away, I acquired a laptop (haven't bothered to name it yet). One of the first things I installed was Firefox, and I immediately noticed the UI changes, most notably the position of the tab bar. There's been UI changes in the past, but it's been somewhat manageable to tweak them enough to fit my usage and style. Since I was planning to use the laptop only temporarily during the summon period to check my emails, I didn't bother to look into the matter.

When I returned, my Firefox 27 on Cygnus popped up and asked to be updated. I figured I could just perform the usual stuff to make the UI worked again, but I was wrong. Even the official Q&A pointed to an Add-on to change the UI back.

I had 7 Add-ons installed at that time, none of which was appearance/UI related. The idea of installing an Add-on just to move the tabs back down didn't sit right with me. As a result, I went back to Firefox 27. And submitted a feedback to Mozilla on this.

Fast forward to today, I finally decided that the accumulation of security fixes for Firefox might worth getting the update, and I made the plunge to Firefox 32.

Of course, the first thing I did after the update was to install the Classic Theme Restorer as noted by the official Q&A page.

There are quite a few options available in CTR, many of which I didn't quite understand their effect, and there's not really instruction for the Add-on. But for my purpose, it was easy to move the tabs back down again, as well as tweak the back/forward buttons. I had to do a quick Google search to get the reload/stop button out of urlbar to where I wanted it, but it was still relatively painless. The title bar could be made visible via the Firefox customize page so it was all right.

So one more Add-on and less than 30 minutes after I updated to Firefox 32, I was functional on my favourite browser again. めでたし、めてだし~

btw, my current Add-ons:
- Classic Theme Restorer
- Context Search
- Converter
- NicoFox
- ReminderFox
- Rikaichan
- Text2Link
- Toggle Proxy

0 comments: