Saturday, January 19, 2013

Black label ice cream

I typically stick with the tried and true Green Tea & Honey Häagen-Dazs for my ice cream fix, but occasionally I venture out (and sometimes regret after the first bite) when I see interesting or new flavours.

Not too long ago, black label ice cream started to appear in my local grocers, coming in four flavours: Madagascar Bourbon vanilla, salted caramel, passion fruit, and coffee.

Yes, I tried all four, and here's the verdict.

Madagascar Bourbon vanilla is very rich and creamy, but a bit too rich and creamy for me. I can only have a few spoonfuls at a time, so it'll take me quite a while to finish this.

Salted caramel is, according to Neko-tan, a new flavour that started popping up recently. It's very rich and buttery, but also very salty. I've had to raise a white flag after one or two spoonfuls every time I attempted the challenge. Seriously looking for some other ways to use this other than eating straight...

Passion fruit is also on the rich and creamy side, but at the same time refreshing due to the passion fruit flavour. It's actually not bad at all once you get used to the sweetness mixed with the fruity sourness. Already finished the tub and will likely get more in the future when it goes on sale.

Tried coffee just now. It's, again, a bit on the rich and creamy side, but it tastes just like those Japanese charcoal-roasted coffee candies I used to eat! I'm not a coffee-drinker so I can't tell whether the coffee taste is considered good or meh, but this is not bad. It'll probably take me another four or five sittings to finish the tub, but I might get it again in the future if I feel like it.

On a side note to self, avoid Chapman and Bryers at all cost!

0 comments: