Tuesday, September 04, 2012

DS, or PSP: that is the question

I've had Lancelot (my PSP) for over a year and a half now. Unlike Guren (my NDS), who's seen many cleared games, I've beaten ZERO game on Lancelot thus far.

While browsing the PSP games I had neatly lined up on the bookshelf alongside games for other systems, I thought it's time to change this sad fact.

My gaze met Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection and paused, recalling the DS version that I have yet to beat. But it's been almost a year since I last played it, now I have difficulties remembering where and why my party was situated at the particular location upon loading the game.

Maybe I can just go ahead and start on the PSP version, then go back to the DS version with all the events still fresh on my mind, and be able to continue my journey?

With the above intention, I took out said game and started Lancelot (after charging it for a few hours, of course).

Right off the bat, FF IV CC gives you the option to pick the core game, Interlude, or The After Years. I had originally thought a walkthrough of the core game would be a requirement to access the other games, so this is nice.

The core game is based on the GBA version, with 16:9 enhanced 2D graphic thanks to the processing prowess of PSP. There are also the options to change the language of the text between English and Japanese, and the soundtrack between the original SNES score and the new arrangements. You can choose to install data which supposedly reduces load time significantly, and there's a gallery mode featuring Amano Yoshitaka's artworks that can be unlocked.

Everything sounds great, right? Then what's the problem?

I'm having trouble getting used to the shiny 2D character sprites. orz

While the 3D graphics for the DS version isn't anything to drool at given the specs of the system, it presents a fresh visual for the characters and the world. And I wouldn't be comparing the 3D graphics against the original SNES 2D graphics, like I would with the PSP version.

I was expecting the core game in FF IV CC to be the SNES version, so it was quite a shock and disappointment when I discovered the "prettier" sprites. Sure, the original 16-bit sprites were primitive, but I find those pixelated images more expressive and endearing. Somehow the high-resolution sprites make the characters more... blend and generic to me.

At the end, though, I think I might just bit the bullet and play the core game on FF IV CC. The GBA version it's based on did have one or two different dungeons. Maybe the shiny makeover will grow on me a few hours into the game...

Since the difficulty is set easier than the DS version (in which my party was annihilated a few times already), it shouldn't take too long to get through. Then I can go back to have a more satisfying experience with the DS version, before tackling Interlude and The After Years.

On a side but completely related note, FF III is coming out on PSP on Sept 20 in Japan!
It's based on the DS version with improvements!
I so want it! :D

But there's no words on a release for North America yet! T__T

0 comments: