Monday, March 14, 2011

やっぱり怖い

As mentioned before, I've been on a book grabbing sprint for the past few days. I grabbed the original novel for 屍鬼(Shiki) and proceeded to grab the first volume of the manga version.

Because I saw the VOMIC version before (don't do it while wearing the headphone and alone at night.... orz), I thought I'd check out the manga, especially since I've finished the anime and shouldn't be scared now.

I froze within 5 pages. orz

The suspense isn't there anymore because I knew what happened, but the images are still pretty horrid. Reading about bodies covered with maggots is not the same as seeing bodies practically made up of maggots, especially for a more visual person like me.

To determine whether I should get the manga or not, I consulted my trusty friend ja.wikipedia...

The anime version is actually an adaptation of the manga, which has a different story than the original novel?!

Apparently that was the condition put out by the original author Ono Fuyumi when the work was to be made into manga. As a result, a certain character (one of the main reasons I watched the anime) that died in the novel was raised up again in the manga/anime version.

Since at least a good chunk of the published portion of the manga is presented in the anime, I decided not to repeat my effort and go through the visual/mental torture. So even though the manga has an extended story over the anime, I'm not going to read it. I'm quite happy with the anime.

As for the original novel, I would still like to read it, but it's pretty low on the list right now. There's hundreds of other series that I want to read first.

I look forward to the day when I can be a book worm. XD

0 comments: