Thursday, January 13, 2011

Super Mario Brothers

The red-cladding, moustache-sporting plumber and his green-cladding, moustache-sporting brother are probably the world's most famous gaming icons. No wonder a SMB-related entry still made the #4 on the Top 10 list for 2010 on ITmedia Gamez's Hibikore, even as the brothers celebrated their 25th anniversary.

I had actually seen the list of Mario secrets before, but it still didn't fail to impress me how early game designers express their world view and characters in such creative ways while being limited by the hardware. (Yes, I'm a very strong supporter of the 8 and 16-bit gaming.)

40kb for a game with endless replay values, entertainment, and even modding fun*! I especially loved the end of the Minus World, where Mario is told that the Princess is at another castle. XDDDDD

*While checking out the Uehara Tetris (#8) on the Top 10 list (which I have yet to clear even 20 lines... orz), I stumbled upon the extremely interesting looking Uehara Mario. I might wanna try my paws on the game when I have time... XD

On a side note, I think I do want to try the Sudoku (#7) on the Top 10 list. Haven't touched a single Sudoku for the longest time, though. It'll probably take me forever, if ever, to solve this one......

0 comments: