Sunday, December 12, 2010

どっちかな?

Adachi Mitsuru is most well known for high school sports-themed love comedy, and he's also one of my favourite manga artists.

My first encounter with Adachi-sensei's work was "虹色とうがらし/Nijiiro Tougarashi." Since it's a mix of and sci-fi, there's a lot of cultural and scientific(?) references that I couldn't understand. But I immediately fell for the clean and smooth drawing style and the humour, so I dutifully followed the series as it was published weekly, thanks to the 少年快報 at the time.

It wasn't until high school that I got to read Adachi-sensei's baseball manga. I already stopped doing any type of sports/exercise except in PE class by this time, but I did use to like baseball when I was little, so H2 was an instant hit for me.

I've read some of Adachi-sensei's shorter works (~5 volumes), and just finished watching the Cross Game anime today (will be reading the manga shortly). Two decades after I first read his manga, I still find myself drawn to the characters and emotions portrayed in the manga frames.

Is it Adachi-sensei's talent to be able to entertain and attract people of all ages?

Or is it that I haven't really grown much over the years?

0 comments: