Monday, May 31, 2010

Project NewType #4: 探偵学園Q Tantei Gakuen Q
45 episodes
PIERROT

[Other media]
- Original manga
- Japanese drama (never seen)
- consumed order: anime -> manga -> anime

I picked up the anime because it's rare to see Ogata Megumi playing the protagonist. Of course, Kuwashima Houko was another big factor. I lost my source about half way through the series and didn't resume watching it until a few years later. I went to the original manga when the anime became unavailable and ended up finishing the manga before I was able to finish watching the anime.

[Highlights]
- seiyuu

While I read mystery stuff, I'm not a huge mystery fan. It's nice if it's available, but I won't wither if I don't get my fix. As a result, I'm kind of meh for the series itself. The only highlight for me is the seiyuu as it's my reason for picking up the anime in the first place. Needless to say, the manga probably isn't something I'd read more than once.

[Notable seiyuu]
- Ogata Megumi, Kuwashima Houko, Touchika Kouichi, Kawakami Tomoko, Ishikawa Hideo, Tanaka Hideyuki, Seki Toshihiko, Hisakawa Aya, Narita Ken, Miki Shinichirou, Yukino Satsuki, Chiba Susumu, Tobita Nobuo, Noda Junko, Midorikawa Hikaru, Ishida Akira

I actually started on the anime in the earlier days of my anime watching career so I didn't know a lot of the seiyuu at that time. By the time I went back to the show, I was able to recognize most of the people I know.

[Favourite characters]
- Minami Megumi, Amakusa Ryu

Megumi, voiced by Kuwashima Houko, is a given. Ryuu, played by Touchika Kouichi, features a gentle and calm voice that I find soothing, especially out of the noisy cast for the Q class. Appearance wise, Ryu is set to be the on the team, so he has the advantage of voice and looks over his fellow classmates.

Katagiri Shino and Nanami Koutarou are two other possible candidates, but they don't have enough screen time to showcase their personalities. The main character Kyuu? Sorry, I need more than Ogata Megumi to go for a .

[Couple supported]
- Amakusa Ryu x Minami Megumi

This is pretty self-explanatory if you've watched the series. I think the staff is leaning more toward Kyuu x Megumi, but Kyuu is too much of a kid for me to see the potential in that pairing. Colour coordination also speaks for Ryu x Megumi with the light grey/purple and soft pink. XD

[Buying guide]
- not interested

As mentioned in the Highlights section, this isn't something I'd watch again. There's often times too little character growth in mystery series, especially for the main character, as it usually focuses on the tricks and the rivalry between the opposing organizations. This is a prime example of that sad tradition. I think almost everyone else developed more than Kyuu by the end of the series...

0 comments: