Friday, March 26, 2010

I'm known among friends to be not quite normal. Bro can also testify that I always use analogies from anime or games that he doesn't have a clue about (he sometimes does, too, referencing Naruto and possibly Bleach from now on). This is gonna be another one of those analogies.

A couple people around me have been going through issues regarding their relationships recently. While they troubled themselves through sleepless nights, I sat relatively undisturbed in my "bubble", as some of them called it. I personally think it's an AT Field rather than a bubble due to my attributes, and came up with a pet theory on AT Field two nights ago after being mentioned as in the "bubble" that afternoon.

As any Evangelion fan (or not) knows, AT Fields can be roughly grouped into two types. One acts as a barrier against all external impacts as displayed by the Angels and EVA. Another establishes the existence of each individual by separating the hearts and souls from each other as detailed in the Human Instrumentality Project. For the purpose of my pet theory, I'm going with my interpretation of the former type along with the notion of 'kokoro' that I briefly wrote about before. (If you actually are able to comprehend the bits about AT Fields in this paragraph, congratulations, 'cause I don't! If you couldn't understand a word, have fun watching Evangelion! XD)

AT Field, short for Absolute Terror Field, is able to repel most, if not all, external damages, be it physical or mental. It can be neutralized when the other side is able to synchronize with the AT Field. However, only when complete synchronization is achieved can the one enter wholly into the AT Field of another.

Let's say every one has an AT Field on the interpersonal level. On a daily basis, people interact with each other, rubbing their AT Fields against each other. A form of synchronization is attained through having common interests, experiences or even enemies. As the rate of synchronization increases, people gain more access into one another's AT Field. How close or matched up people are can be determined by the percentage of intersection between the AT Fields.

But wait, synchronization rate can also be negative. This is usually due to diverging views, conflicting experiences or just plain misunderstanding. As a result, the intersecting percentage of the AT Fields fluctuates every time an interaction, either direct or indirect, takes place.

It's pretty much impossible for one to achieve perfect synchronization of another's AT Field. On the other hand, one can keep changing the composition of their AT Field as to purposely discourage synchronization attempts from other people.

When one is able to reach a certain synchronization rate (let's say enough to activate a XD), 'kokoro' is then obtained between the two sides. But because of the dynamic nature of the synchronization rate, the 'kokoro' can be lost and regained numerous times. In order to maintain the 'kokoro', one needs to always strive for . When the 'kokoro' is sufficiently established and maintained, friendship starts to blossom.

Keep in mind, though, that even when 'kokoro' exists between two, synchronization efforts are still ongoing. Negative synchronization doesn't just cancel out the position numbers. It pokes out from one's AT Field into the other's AT Field. The deeper intersecting the AT Fields are, the more painful and acute the pokes are felt by the owner of the intruded AT Field.

Right now I don't have a theory on what sparks a romantic relationship in this whole AT Field thing yet. I'm sure I can come up with something fairly quick, but I think this post has gone on long enough without having any real content, again. So let me leave the rough draft of my latest pet theory at that. (There's something else I was planning to write about but can't remember after the uber long post now...)

On a last note, I watched Evangelion many many many years ago and never bothered to dig into the philosophical and metaphorical sides of it. Beside the robot fights, I was more interested in seeing Kaoru and Rei together... yeah.

0 comments: