Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Starting in November, beside my somewhat futile attempt at completing the Gundam Quest, I've also started a little pet project on another of my interested topics: seiyuu.

Using the list of seiyuu on wikipedia, I'll select one seiyuu to talk about every week. The method of selection is done scientifically with the help of a die. Really, it's nothing but scientific. I even have a chart drawn out for it. After a controlled entropy experiment, I'll just go down the list for the selected row and write about the first name I recognize to some degree.

For this pilot project demonstration, the lucky(?) seiyuu is: Yao Kazuki (矢尾一樹)! *applauds*

I actually haven't heard a lot of Yao-san, but his voice is really unique and I learned to recognize it right away.

First heard: Tawara Bunshichi (Tenjo Tenge)

First noticed: Tawara Bunshichi (Tenjo Tenge)

Memorable characters: Tawara Bunshichi (Tenjo Tenge), Dominikov (MURDER PRINCESS), Moroha (Sousei no Aquarion)

Image character: Tawara Bunshichi (Tenjo Tenge)

Discernment rate: somewhat high

Number of works seen: 15 (2009.11.25)

It's probably obvious that Yao-san=Bunshichi for me. XD Yao-san's performance as Bunshichi was so impressive, that even in a show full of high level seiyuu such as Tenjo Tenge, he stood out as one of the significant characters. I liked his Dominikov as well. That cute little skeleton man with a big heart. I shed a few tears when he disappeared...

I'd say my discernment rate for Yao Kazuki is somewhat high. I can recognize him in most works he appears in, but the rate is not high or very high because I might not had been able to tell that he's Judau if I hadn't known before hand...

Hopefully I'll be able to hear his Judau soon. I was surprised to see him playing the protagonist in a Gundam series, but I definitely look forward to it. As soon as I finish those Zeta Gundam DVDs...



My little seiyuu project will be something similar to the above. There will be times when I don't have a lot to say (such as today), but there will be times when I can't stop myself, especially when it comes to some of the big names.

On a side note, I realized yesterday that the Victory Gundam episodes I got were RAWs. Even though it's still in the UC timeline, it's very very remotely connected to the original Gundam's world. So I'll have to re-learn a lot of the terms. It'll be a welcoming challenge to tackle a hard and heavy series with my passing listening level. I can understand Zeta reasonably fine without reading the subtitles, so I'm hoping the same when I get to Victory Gundam.

0 comments: