Sunday, November 15, 2009

My right eye is still kind of sore from the lack of sleep, but after an hour of turning restlessly on the bed, I decided to get up anyway. For one, I was hungry because it's been almost 17 hours since my last meal (which explains the double portion I'm cooking right now to make up for it). I also had a hard time sleeping because memories of my childhood kept coming back and occupying my mind.

So I've decided to start another weekly project about the bits and pieces in my childhood. I had always thought that my childhood experience (mainly school life since school took up such a big chunk for students in Taiwan) was similar to that of everybody else's. I've since realized that not only are those experiences foreign in the literal sense to my fellow Canadians, they are likely alien to people that grew up in the digital age. But that's really just an excuse for me to take a trip down the memory lane 'cause I'm getting old. XD

Here's a preview of some of the topics I would like to talk about:
- cleaning duties in school
- school uniforms
- subjects taught in school
- after school activities
- commuting to schools
- stray dogs & co. in the neighbourhood
- cartoon/anime
- NES
- etc.

My first impulse was to name the project 余憶童稚時("back in my childhood years") or "Once upon a time", but all my labels are single words, so I decided to go with Mukashibanashi(昔話), which means stories of old. Japanese is such a convenient language. XD Due to the time constraint, I will start it after my birthday. 30 is as good a time for an old one to start reflecting back on one's memories.

On a side note, I did a quick calculation on the amount of Gundam stuff I'll need to go through if I were to finish them all before I turn 30. It's very obviously that I will never make it at the current speed I'm going. I think I might have to try and pull a few Higurashi, where I was so scared that I didn't want to drag the series over the week and get haunted by the images, so I gobbled through it (26 episodes) over a weekend. Same thing with Higurashi Kai (24 episodes), although it was really not necessary for Kai. Yup, I think a couple Higurashi is definitely in order.

0 comments: