Monday, February 09, 2009

I consider myself a newbie when it comes to Vocaloid. While I probably haven't even listened to 0.1% of all the Vocaloid songs out there, there's a couple that I really like and go back to from time to time. ココロ is one of them, and the 悪ノ series by 悪ノP is another.

悪ノ娘(Aku no Musume/Wicked Girl) depicts a princess who ascends the throne at the young age of 14 and rules over her kingdom with spoiled and selfish tyranny, and how she meets her end. Despite the cruelness of the subject, the song style is rather light-hearted with a quick tempo, as if putting on a stage play at a local comedy theatre.

I'm sure the series wouldn't have touched so many people's heart if not for 悪ノ召使(Aku no Meshitsukai/Wicked Servant), the companion song that tells the same story from the view point of the servant with the same face that's only mentioned once in 悪ノ娘. As it turns out, the twins were forced to separate when they were little, resulting in the heartless nature in the princess. The lost twin is brought back to her, but as a servant who does the biddings of the princess, no matter how sinful it is. At the end, he switches roles with the princess and dies at the guillotine disguised as her. She is his other half, and he loves her dearly, to the point of dying for her.

At the communion today, the pastor reminded us once again that Jesus loves us so much that he died for us. Len (the servant) is willing to die for Rin (the princess) because they are twin siblings. Jesus is not related to us by nature, yet He loves us and gives His all to us, so that we can be clean and be free.

In リグレットメッセージ(Regret Message, not written by 悪ノP), Rin thinks back to what Len had done for her and regrets her actions, but Len won't be back again. Jesus, on the other hand, rose from the dead after three days! When I do something wrong or stupid, it's not too late to repent and change, and Jesus is there for me every step of the way.

It's kind of hard to lay out in words what went through my mind when I heard those words from the pastor this morning and mentally made a comparison with Len in 悪ノ召使. I think this is one of the reasons why I like the song so much, to see the great display of love.

On the topic of 悪ノ召使, here are some PV that I mylisted. These two are chorus projects, and I especially love the second one, 悪ノ召使 -Classical version-【ミニ合唱】Project Edition. I couldn't help but tear up when Len sings T__T

On the subject of parallel comparison, I found Re_birthday and one of its PV just now (yes, I've been listening to the 悪ノ series on Niconico while writing this). Another uncunning resemblance! Len, alone in a dark space and chained down by the blood and tears from people he's wronged, is condemned by his sins. Then one day, the dark space opens up a crack and lets in a small light, freeing him from the chains and giving him a second chance. Sounds like every born again Christian's path, eh?

I think Re_birthday links up the trilogy (悪ノ娘、悪ノ召使、リグレットメッセージ) very nicely and completes the 悪ノ series along with ぜんまい仕掛けの子守唄(Zenmaijikake no Komoriuta/Clockwork Lullaby). こんな素敵なシリーズありがとう、悪ノP氏!(Thank you for this wonderful series, Aku no P-san!)

0 comments: