Saturday, December 13, 2008

Burrrrr. It was 3°C when I left home this morning so I didn't think of wearing a scarf or a thicker jacket. I regretted it the second I walked out the door when I got off work. The forecasted flurries didn't happen (it's been pushed to tomorrow morning), but the strong and bone chilling December wind was blowing snow dusts all over the place.

It was in this fine weather that I braved myself and ventured on my quest for my very first DS game. Yes, I finally plunged in and got myself a DS.

The seal hasn't been broken yet, but it's already got a name: Guren (紅蓮). You can probably guess its colouring from the name. Out of the three colours that we carry (silver, cobalt & black, crimson & black), this one immediately caught my eyes as it reminded me of the Guren from Code Geass (Guren/Kallen & Black Knights/Zero, get it?) Yeah, bro just laughed dryly after hearing my reasoning behind the name. He had no idea what I was talking about, except that it involved Code Geass, a title I recited often to him.

I dropped by London Drugs first to see what anime titles they have since I haven't been there in a long time. They actually have a pretty good selection, including the first set of Gurren Lagann and Seirei no Moribito, both of which I haven't watched but have heard praises for. I'll probably start watching those two soon so I can get the DVDs if I like the series before they get bought by someone else.

Best Buy was, as expected, swamped. No one in the anime section, though. I was tempted to buy the second part of Aquarion, but the price tag of $45 for two discs set me off. I ain't paying 90 bucks for a 26-episode series unless I really like it. Sousei no Aquarion is a good show in many aspects, just not enough to justify the cost for me, especially when there's no part one and thus I'll have to hunt around for it. If they have both parts in stock, it might be a different story. That's what happened with Evangelion. I enjoy the series but it's not even in my top 20, but the complete series was there in a box set with a good and fancy box at a reasonable price, so I bought it right then and there.

Anyhow, I put Aquarion back to the shelf and strode into the video game section. It was really crowded. I saw more store associates in this area than we have for the department for the whole day today...

Before this little excursion, I had a couple titles in mind for my Guren so it didn't take me too long. My first choice, Chrono Trigger, was not available this side of the country yet. My third choice, Final Fantasy III, was no longer available in any Best Buy across the country (I thought I saw a copy just a week or so ago...) My fourth choice, The World Ends With You, was also nowhere to be seen. So I ended up with only my second choice, Dragon Quest IV. I want to finish the NES version first though, so it might be a while before I actually get around to play it. Puzzle Quest seems interesting. I might get it to fill the gap.

It's -4°C now. The numbers I see in the forecast for next week are all in the minus. I think it's time to get the muffler out. I should probably change my pyjama to the winter set while I'm at it, eh?

0 comments: