Sunday, October 05, 2008

October has arrived, which means that the fall shows are either aired or will soon be airing. I think it's a good time to briefly review the shows I've finished since my last batch.

S・A~スペシャル・エー~ (Special A)
I haven't been following the manga for a long time, but what I've already read cover all the parts from the anime so there wasn't really any surprise for me. Not much to say about this series except that it's OK and entertaining. For me, the best thing going for it is Fukuyama Jun. I'm slowly accepting Goto Yuuko, too.

ゼロの使い魔~三美姫の輪舞~ (Zero no Tsukaima ~Princess no Rondo~)
I've never read the original novel so I can only judge from the anime. This series is light entertainment for me, with elements of comedy, romance, and some action. To be frank, I was a bit touched by the final scenes at the end of the 2nd season (until Saito returned and got wacked by Louise, that is), but I didn't really get the same feeling watching the 3rd season. There's also very minimal character development in this season in terms of feelings and personal growth. I'm guessing a good portion of the episodes is just for setting up the next season, where the real conspiracy will roll into action? Yeah, I'll still be watching the 4th season when it comes out.

Blassreiter
The plot turned a 180 after the destruction of XAT since I last wrote about it. Given the theme of the show, I expected Amanda to be the sole survivor to the very end, so having Marek there as well was a surprise for me. The style of the boss battle was the old relay type with the protagonist as the last baton, but it was pretty fired up. I was a bit disappointed that Joseph didn't express any special feeling toward Amanda, but having him appeared on Amanda's bike (OK, so it used to be his) via the something care system at the end mended that a little. XD

It's an interesting experience following the series on YouTube. While the viewing numbers are not too bad, I don't think the DVD will sell very well. As I had mentioned before, I wouldn't have watched the show if it weren't for the seiyuu. While there are some great scenes (episode 12!), the theme and the overall tone is rather dark and ominous, which might not be enjoyable for the majority of the anime fan base here in North America. Maybe the Tower of Druaga will sell better? But then again, I feel that the Tower of Druaga contains a lot of elements closer to the taste of Japanese, while Blassreiter leans more toward the Western style so it's hard to say. I could be wrong.

Monochrome Factor
The show is pretty formulaic at best and down right boring at worst. The only saving grace for it really is the unnecessarily heavy seiyuu cast. Seriously, I'd have dropped the show after a few episodes if it weren't for the seiyuu. Only recommended if you're into seiyuu.

コードギアス 反逆のルルーシュR2 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2)
...I'm still somewhat speechless after finishing the last six episodes in one sitting last night. I'm also having slight difficulty adjusting my mood to watch anything else since. It's been a very long time since I'm so moved by an original anime (not based on an existing work). Elaborate settings, attractive designs (excluding most of the mecha), superb directing and story board, beautiful music and insert songs, plot twists that compliment each other and come back in a full circle, intense action, gripping sentiments, deep character development, and an excellent seiyuu cast. Together, all of these weaved a very impressive and emotional tale.

何なんだろう、この切ない思いは。目から汗が!しかも何度でも...

All I can say now is that Code Geass has officially climbed onto my list of top 5 anime. BestBuy Canada better picks up the title soon, or else I'm going across the border to get the DVDs. -__-

0 comments: