Tuesday, September 09, 2008

劇場版BLEACH The DiamondDust Rebellion もう一つの氷輪丸

I've been waiting to see this ever since news of it came out in 2007 and I was very excited when I managed to get the high quality raw last night. I couldn't get the Japanese subtitle to display but that didn't prevent me from enjoying the movie. And I was not disappointed.

Unlike the first movie, which a lot of people choose to ignore and pretend it never happened (myself included), this second instalment keeps the new cast and original content to a minimum and has everyone in character. This can easily fall within the Bleach universe and not feel out of place. In fact, it offers another glimpse into the past of the child prodigy, as well as the significance of the monarch and the way Soul Society runs.

Hitsugaya is one of my favourite characters in Bleach (Park Romi being one of the reasons). Despite his captain status, he is younger than most cast and is still learning and going through adolescence. Yet because of his strength and intelligence, he walks side by side with other leaders and carries the 10th Squad on his small shoulders. Being the sane voice and often judges the situation with a cool and informed air, he is not one to reveal his inner pains and is eager to take the responsibility and the blame. There's likely other burdens hidden in his heart, but at least with the resolution of the royal seal incident, the child captain can be at peace knowing that he and Kusaka were still friends forever.

As for other characters, most people have a reasonable amount of screen time depending on their roles and get to show off their skills in battles. The enemy boss isn't terribly strong; just big and have swarms of regenerating hollows. I like how everyone plays a part in the final battle. It's pretty hot blooded, to say the least. Ikkaku even bankaied! That makes it four shinigami knowing his secret now. I really think Rukia is the second strongest in her squad after all these battles. Oh, and I just had to laugh when I saw Mayuri's bankai helping to suppress the berserk spirit sphere from expanding. XD

There's three new characters for the movie, but there's only one new seiyuu, Ishida Akira (my favourite male seiyuu!). Yin and Yang are voiced by the captain and the vice captain of the 4th Squad. Some kind of conspiracy? XD Ah well, it's not the first time they have one seiyuu doing multiple characters. There's already Shuuhei/Keigo, Tousen/Isshin, and Karin/Nemu.

The art isn't quite consistent throughout the film, especially with the profile shots, but it's not too prominent. The music is fitting as expected, although I don't care too much about the theme song. Over all, I liked the movie a lot. Now if they'll just hurry up with the DVD release this side of the Pacific... and have BestBuy or London Drugs pick up the title! I've had enough of the pathetic state of anime presence in our local stores.

On a last note, I saw the trailer for the next Bleach movie, Fade to Black 君の名を呼ぶ, and I really really want to see it. The spot light is finally shining on our dear Rukia! But I suppose the DVD won't be out until around this time next year... orz

0 comments: