Tuesday, May 13, 2008

人はやばり光と希望を求める、そして誰でも救われるを信じたいかな?

Having experienced numerous ACG works in various genres over the years, I've come up with a pet theory on human nature, which basically encompasses the above rhetorical question: Humans, after all, seek after light and hope, and want to believe that anyone can be saved. I'm not good at translating my thoughts into words, so I'll just briefly summarize it with a few general scenarios.

Case 1. The 'bad' guy usually started 'good' and innocent until something drastic happened to him and caused him to be the way he is. After clashing swords a couple times with the protagonist, he is touched by the protagonist's personality and is reminded of the good side of human nature and get converted.

Case 2. A character from a 'bad' faction grew up 'bad' because that's the way he's supposed to be in that given environment. After numerous encounters and conflicts with the protagonist, he is attracted by the protagonist despite their difference in background, value, and status. Those around still condemn/fear him, but the feelings between him and the protagonist, whether it's love or friendship, will allow him to leave his old way of life and be with the protagonist.

Case 3. The guy decided to behave in a certain way on his own accord. He may act all bad-ass and mighty, cold and merciless, or not caring about anything, but he is lonely and longs for something deep in his heart and subconsciously. The protagonist brings him out of his own confinement, and he has a change of heart.

The 'bad' guys in those cases may range from a new recruit for the opposing side, an infamous killer, a leader, a user of supernatural power, or a Mazoku/monster/youkai/spirit/ma. They all chase after something. If the something is of light in nature, they would obtain it and be saved. If the something is of darkness in nature, they would end horribly should they obtain it.

Sound familiar? They should, as these are basic elements and staples to a lot of the ACG works and overused to the point of cliche. Yet people never get tired of these patterns and themes, and they continue to create and consume works built around them. Why? This is where my pet theory comes in.

I believe that since the day that Adam and Eve were ousted from the Garden of Eden and separated from God, there exists a void and desire in the human heart that can only be filled by that which is from God. That's why we seek after light and hope and believe in such power. That's why we want to see people of darkness be saved and pulled back into the realm of light. By seeing a good ending for those people, we hope for the same for ourselves.

There are people saying they're fine being in darkness and rather stay there, including a number of my friends, but I do think they're bluffing themselves and/or ignoring what their hearts are telling them.

Personally, I have nothing against such themes, and I'm sucker for those to a degree. The only instant where I will not tolerate this is when the subject in question is a devil or satan itself, as I believe their paths cannot be changed once they chose to rebel against God and got thrown down from Heaven. Other than those, I'm good with any variation of the said themes.

I used to be pretty dark, btw, without anything drastic happened to me. I may not be completely in the light now, but I'm definitely and surely going there. With the help of my good Shepherd, of course. :)

0 comments: