Friday, January 18, 2008

Honey & Clover drama ep.01

I wasn't planning on watching it so soon, but I couldn't resist. After all, the anime was what introduced me to the world of H&C and is on my list of top 5 anime. I was stung once before by the movie version, so when I saw the news of the series being dramatized, I was excited and afraid at the same time. I recognized a few names in the cast list (after linking out to their ja.wikipedia pages for the list of roles), but that did nothing to pacify my anxiety. So with much tentative anticipation, I rolled the video.

And the 1st episode left me with mixed feelings.

Of course the casting wouldn't even be close to that of the original, and I feared for the worst. The drastic opening only aided in building up dread. It was relatively easy to get used to the drama Takemoto, although I find his monologue lacking. I do remind myself, however, that I'm comparing the drama against the anime version with professional seiyuu, so this can be overlooked.

It took me almost half-way to acknowledge Mayama and Hagu, but I find them well suited and have high hopes for them. Romaiya-senpai is interestingly different, but he doesn't seem to have a big enough build for the amusement park mascot role. XD Rika looks physically able and not as fragile as in the original (she even appears a little too not fragile), but I think she's got the Rika role right. Miyako doesn't seem as eccentric, but that could change when her air time increases. Nomiya... I can't tell from the less than one-minute screen time he has. XD

Notice that I left out two main characters? That's right. Morita and Yamada, my favourite male and female from the series. Morita is probably one of the most difficult characters in the series to portray. I think the drama Morita is doing a good job, but he's still a bit too refined and not crazy enough for me. XD Yamada, on the other hand, just doesn't have the air as the original. Except when she kicks. In other words, she has all the but none of the . The drama Yamada also looks older than the rest of the main student cast. I even think Takahashi Mikako would be a much better Yamada...

The story includes some episodes from various stages in the original and adds its own ingredients and flavours. How that'll turn out, only time can tell. This is only the 1st episode, after all. As the 1st episode usually provides the story and character backdrop, it's too early to say anything at this point. I shall continue to follow the series.

0 comments: