Saturday, August 20, 2005

Just finished watching ep.49 & 50 of Gundam SEED on YTV and I must say the impact is not less nor lighter compared to the first time I saw it. The emotional side of the characters' feelings weren't adequately delivered in the dubbed version, but I was able to immerse myself in the flow and the philosophy of the story better not having to follow the subtitles.

First off, the idea of writing a story from the time Flay picks up that transmitter to the time ArchAngel fires the last Lohengrin emerged again from the pile of to-writes in a dusted part of my brain. I think I might just write it in a few days while the memory is still fresh in my mind.

Flay's death. I had to experience the heart-wrenching moment once more as Kira cries out Flay's name in agonised and desperate tears. It's just so... so sad. >__< Watching Kira's expression changes from great relief and gladness from saving Flay and the prospect of seeing her again, to extreme shock and disbelief with coming so close and losing her right before his eyes, was sorrowful and at the same time dramatic.

Flaga's death. Knowing that the guy is alive and well (physically well anyway...) in DESTINY totally nullifies the weight and significance of the event. I have yet to catch up on DESTINY to learn of the reason behind his situation (and hopefully it's along the lines of one of my theories), but it really would make a much more powerful and meaningful move if he were to die then, regardless of whatever excuse the staff thought up for his re-appearance. Enough complaint on this. I will write my thoughts on the event itself when I get around to finish the old-post-project...

I'll leave the real meat for when I actually write the review. These are just some of the thoughts I had when I watched the ending episodes a second time (and dubbed) today.

On a side note, I got a glimpse of One Piece on YTV earlier as well. The OP is completely re-written like Dragon Ball Z, I believe. Just thought it's interesting and a good sign that they're showing more quality anime now (as opposed to the xxxxMon trend). No, I didn't actually watch the episode. I don't imagine I'd follow the series at all, not even in Japanese. I'm already having difficulty wanting to read the manga as it is. I consider myself quite tolerant when it comes to manga art style so that's not really the problem, but if the characters and the story aren't enough to keep me interested, I'd drop the series right there. That's sort of the case with One Piece for me, I guess. *shrug*

0 comments: