Wednesday, April 02, 2003

With the release of FFX-2, a lot of people are putting down the latest installment of Square's Final Fantasy series.

Truth be told, I was also somewhat disappointed when I saw the character arts at first. My impressions of Yuna totally changed just by looking at her new outfits, and I almost didn't feel like checking out the title further. Well, guess what? After seeing first the promotion video, and lately a couple of the CG movie clips as well as the ending clip, I am glad I didn't let my prejudice stop me in the first place.

Final Fantasy has set a standard for pretty much all the RPGs out there, and Square isn't afraid of trying new concepts and ideas and using them. With each new installment, Final Fantasy lives up to its name with the most efforts (and therefore final) from the staff.

I don't plan to play FFX-2 anytime since I've stopped playing console games for years now, but I keep following the stories of Final Fantasy. From what I've seen, FFX-2 has a moving plot as well as a powerful theme, love. Some people complain that the FF series always has love for a theme, but why not? Love is the single most powerful emotion a human can ever experience, and it is the most touching and moving, a force to be reckoned with. That's what makes the stories of Final Fantasy so great.

Granted, I don't play the games so I am overlooking all the technical difficulties such as repetitive battles/mazes/puzzles/etc., but when I play an RPG, I focus on the story. Otherwise, it is just an action game or challenging entertainment. If one cannot immerse in the story, how can one role play the character?

The whole FFX-2 bashing also reminds me of the fate of being a Christian. FFX-2 is judged harshly because it descends from a great name, and every gamer in the world recognizes it. The more publicity and fame it has, the more it's criticized and scrutinized. The same goes for us Christians. People recognize us and have certain expectations of us because of our titles. If there is a little spot that they don't like, they would not hesitate to point it out.

Therefore, brothers and sisters, we need to live up to the great title that's given to us by the Son of God. Live our lives according to the Bible and be living testimonies of the names we bear!

0 comments: